Thursday, September 1, 2011

1st 1/2 marathon... many to go!

Well the race butterflies started setting in the evening before the race. Brittney, Alivia, My Mom, Jenifer Harrison and Preston came up around 6 the night before. Brit, Jen and I drove up to Ashton to pick up our Race packets  or should I say Race "potato Bags" that had our Race numbers and Polo T also some other handy things like, foot lube to prevent your feet from blistering and some cereal bars. We also decided to Carb load it up and eat the Pre dinner they provided which was Spaghetti and garlic bread.
When we got home Brit and I set out our clothing and stuff we would need in the morning then we got our kids to sleep and tried the best we could to get some rest!...boy was it not the best nights sleep I've ever had. I remember I would get restless like this before the 10k races I had run when I was younger but it was a tad bit more nerve racking since I'd be running quite a  bit more! I knew that I had trained well for this race and that everything really was going to be just fine but it was still hard to sleep as well as I would have liked too. I even had a bad dream almost the entire night about not being able to make it to the starting line on time!
Finally morning came! It felt like Christmas morning. I was just excited to get the show on the road! I woke up at 6am just as Jake was getting home from work. I know poor guy only got to have about 4 hours of sleep till he would have to get up and be there when I finished the race.  I couldn't ask for a better more supportive hubby! :) He said he couldn't miss it for the world. My lovely mom drove us to Ashton to catch the bus at 7:30am that would take us to the starting line. We took some pictures and then we were on our way!

Off we go!!

 The bus ride was only about a 10 or 15 minute drive so we had quite a bit of time to spare before the race actually started  so we were getting pretty anxious. It was cool we got to see the 1st 10 or so marathon runners pass by. When 8:30 finally rolled around Brit and I walked all the way to the front of the line slightly scared that we would be getting trampled over but we wanted to make sure we could get out of the big crowd as much as we could cuz the 1st 2 or so miles were on a single file dirt trail. A guy at the front said "Go" and we were on our way. We ran thru a camp site area around mile 3 thru 4 so we had some people cheering for us it was nice. Then mile 4 thru 7 or so was the steeper hills then the rest of the way was just little up and down hills which we didn't mind at all.  I almost looked forward to each hill just cuz just going straight for a long time kind of made the race drag on longer. When we reached mile 6 we took half of an energy gel which I think are amazing! I felt like a burst of energy kicked 15 minutes later, it was so nice! At mile 11 we took another half of an energy gel to finish off the race strong! When we got into town and turned the corner for the home stretch, I saw that our time was just a couple minutes past 2 hours! We both couldn't believe we had finished sooner than we thought we would! We weren't really looking for a time just wanting to finish! We both started to sprint to the finish line while the crowd cheered us on! It was such a great feeling to finish our first half marathon!!! We are both hooked!! I look forward to the next race!!
During the run we related the race to LIFE... The Hills we had to go up are like the trials and hardships we go through in life- Whenever we went up a hill we would say " just keep swimming, just keep swimming and I know we can, I know we can!" The Downhills were the blessings and Joys that "carry us" through life. We also thought about how there people along the way to cheer you on and keep you going through the hard times and the good. Also we knew that the race would come to an end eventually. Nothing "hard" ever lasts so it's important to keep things in perspective and not sweat the little things we go through.  We also learned every challenge you go through in life only makes you a stronger and better person!

I love my little Family!  


Our little pride and Joys
This picture was taken just before Brit and I got our FREE huckleberry shake!





No comments:

Post a Comment