Saturday, November 12, 2011

FAMILIES ARE FOREVER

I received a call yesterday morning from my best friends moms' phone Diana Young, I saw that I got a voice mail from her so I checked it as soon as I woke up and it was my best friend who is serving a mission in NEW YORK she sounded down and told me to call her back when I got the message. The  first thought that came to my head is maybe she came home early due to an injury of some sort because her return date isn't supposed to be for another 6 months. I called her frantically and she told me the news... her father who has been battling diabetes for the past 27 years has suddenly passed away. I couldn't believe what I had just heard and imagine the pain Kim and her family were feeling. I knew right away that I needed to be there for her and her family. I know that if I were in her shoes she would do the same for me. I was able to get work off and have someone teach the YW's lesson for me and I packed for Roxy and I to head down right away. Thanks to my wonderful husband and his loving support he was more than understanding to let his little family go down to Utah almost 2 weeks earlier than expected. I knew that I had to be there ASAP. Kim had flown in at midnight and called me around 9 am that morning. I am SO grateful that she felt close enough to me that she didn't hesitate to call. I truly feel like I have been apart of their family and she has been the same with mine. We have been really close friends for 10 years now...We met in Jr. High gym class and immediately realized our friendship was special and that it would last forever. We went our separate ways as far as going to different high schools and college yet we have still been able to remain super close.
Roxy and I were able to make it down by 5pm last night. My stomach was in knots thinking about seeing Kim and knowing how I could possibly comfort her during this hard time. I was also feeling super excited to see her since it has been a year and for her to see my 6 month old daughter... Kim is her honorary aunt after all! :) I get to her house and see her sweet mother outside who somehow is able to give a warm smile and loving embrace like she always has done every time I see her. I then walk into her house and see all of her family that I absolutely love and then I see Kim and we come running towards each other. I gave her a big hug and told her how deeply sorry I was and how much I love her. She was so excited to see little Roxy. We sat and talked with the family for a few hours. The whole time Kim would say how her father was in a better place now and is with her brother they lost as a still born and also her parents. We expressed how grateful we both are for the GOSPEL and to know that families are sealed in heaven ETERNALLY. Kim expressed how much she feared if she went on a mission she might never see her dad again and that she really wanted him to be here when she got married. Her mission president comforted her and let her know that he is in a better place and that he is with her in spirit.  Kim has seemed incredibly strong along with her family. They are all so AMAZING. I honestly couldn't ask for a better friend and family to be apart of. The viewing is on Monday and the funeral will be on Tuesday then Kim will head back on Thursday...my birthday :) which has been a wonderful gift for me to be able to see her even during a difficult time. I am just so glad I can be there for her and hope that she will always know she can count on me to be there for ANYTHING life brings. On the way down to Utah I stopped in Rexburg at the Deseret Book hoping  to find a comforting gift for Kim and after an HOUR of searching for the perfect gift I was able to find a few things that I hope would help her.  I found a willow angel for Kim's mom. It had a tree on it that represents finding comfort and strength through prayer. I also gave Kim a willow angel as well that symbolizes in time of need, I'll always be there for her, I also got her a picture of Christ holding a young women in his arms that talks about how Christ is always there for us and loves us and I got her a book called " eat your peas girlfriend" It's a cute book that talks about friendship and how special she is to me as a friend. I hope that I was able to comfort her in some way. I have been strengthened through this trial and I know that Kim and her family have been as well. Kim is going to go back out in the mission field with her head held up high having more confidence and perseverance to spread the good news of the gospel which is....FAMILIES CAN BE TOGETHER FOREVER....LOVE YOU KIM!!

No comments:

Post a Comment