Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Finding Joy Now....


 Last Sunday in Young Womens the girls were given a piece of paper that they had to write a weekly goal they wanted to work on for personal progress and a monthly goal as well. I decided to come up with a weekly goal which is being better at my personal daily scripture study. Jake and I have been doing pretty good at keeping up with our reading together. I feel like it has always been a challenge for me to Read the scriptures everyday. I have never been much of a reader but I know how important it is to have daily scripture study. For my monthly goal I decided I wanted to put a spiritual/motivational thought on our bathroom mirror so Jake and I can reflect on it each day. Our 1st quote Jake found from his  most recent lesson he taught is: "Let us once and for all establish our residence in Zion and let us all give up our summer cottage in Babylon. -Elder Maxwell 
Application: We must try our best to get rid of the worldly things in our lives and focus on the things that will draw us closer to god.
This weeks Y.W.'S Lesson I am teaching couldn't have been a more appropriate topic for me and I am sure a lot of my yw girls...It is on FINDING JOY NOW.
I realize that throughout my life I have always looked forward to specific events that I expected to occur in my life such as when I turned 8 I knew that I would be baptized....and when I reached the age of 16 I wanted to finally date!....then eventually I wanted to be swept off my feet to a return missionary and be sealed in the Salt lake temple for Time and all Eternity....I also always dreamed of being a mom and having a handful of children. I feel like the goals and dreams I have set have truly become a reality and I feel truly blessed to be where I am at today.... I have everything I ever dreamed of and more. It's when I look back on my life and realize that there were times when I was so determined to meet that specific marker in my life that I realize I didn't truly enjoy the moments that have come and gone and I feel like I may have taken some of the everyday in between moments for granted. One specific event I remember was when I was in Puerto Rico with my family and Both of my brothers and I all had a significant other at the time (of course we were all in our teenage years) so a lot of the time we focused more on missing them than we did on realizing that this would be the last family trip we would have together as a family before we would get married. Of course our family trips are just as fun if not even better with our significant other. I still feel like it is important to take each day at a time.... because you never know when it could be your last. Of course it is still important to set big goals in life but not let them prevent you from enjoying all the little moments. I especially want to apply this to being a Wife and New Mom, I know that everyday almost seems identical to the other most of the time but even when I look back it is truly amazing how quickly things have changed and how much Jake and I have experience in this short little while and grown from one another. Also to see how much our little Roxy has grown and developed her cute little personality. 
I really like the Talk by our prophet Thomas S. Monson about finding joy in the journey now. One thing that stood out from his talk was...."There is nothing more constant in life than change" I felt that it was really comforting to here since I am someone that has a hard time adjusting with changes a lot of the time. So let the Changes come into our lives and I will do my best to embrace them realizing that the Lord will be there to help us with every change that occurs in our life.  This is another quote from the same talk I will end this lovely blog message with....
"This is our one and only chance at mortal life—here and now. The longer we live, the greater is our realization that it is brief. Opportunities come, and then they are gone. I believe that among the greatest lessons we are to learn in this short sojourn upon the earth are lessons that help us distinguish between what is important and what is not. I plead with you not to let those most  important things pass you by as you plan for that illusive and nonexistent future when you will have time to do all that you want to do.  Instead, find joy in the journey—now. "    ---Thomas S. Monson, “Finding Joy in the Journey,” Ensign, Nov 2008, 84–87
P.s. I like this acronym I learned from my lesson.... 
J:Jesus Christ O:Others Y:Yourself 
If you learn to put Christ first in your life then serve others that is where you will find true lasting Joy. 
 The Church is true!!! Enjoy Life One day at a time!!  
Our little sleeping Beauty
 

No comments:

Post a Comment